Forum Home » Survey software » Opinio

Topic: Arabic survey
Replies: 5   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 17, 2010 5:00 PM by: Simon

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Pages: 1  
Simon

Arabic survey
Posted: May 5, 2010 2:23 PM

Does anyone have experience of using opinio to produce an arabic language version of a questionnaire?

On a related note. The language resource files do not currently have an arabic option. These files are extensive and contain translations for all aspects of the opinio package (both users and administrator). Is it possible to get a list of what texts are viewed by users only (as the administration side will only be viewed by English speaking personnel).

torgeir

Re: Arabic survey
Posted: May 5, 2010 2:45 PM

Hi,

The main challenge is the right-to-left text. You have to edit the CSS file for the survey (if you are using on of the templates, you must edit the CSS on the server). Or you can use a CSS instead of a template. Then you can edit the CSS in Opinio or by download/uploading it. This is under Look & feel in a survey.

In the CSS file, put in this line:
html { direction: rtl; unicode-bidi: bidi-override; }

You also need to configure Opinio to use UTF-8, in the Opinio setup screen. Your database also need to support UTF-8.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Posted: May 5, 2010 2:54 PM

Thanks for the quick response. By using a CSS file to enable right to left text, surely this will mean that we have to create a dedicated survey for arabic users i.e. one survey with a left to right css for english respondents and a separate css for right to left arabic users

torgeir

Posted: May 5, 2010 2:56 PM

Actually, if you use the multilingual functionality of Opinio, you can set an optional CSS file per language.

Simon

Posted: May 7, 2010 2:37 PM

The CSS file will enable me to create a separate arabic version. However, I do need to have both english and arabic text appear on the first page - to explain that the survey is available in both languages and instructions on how to change languages.
I have tested by pasting arabic text into the text area of a question containing english text but get an error message when I click on the save button. However, going back to the survey home and previewing the survey, the pasted arabic is correctly displayed. Is this something I should be worried about? Here is the error message:

Error details:
H.OI: QuestionDB.update(): java.sql.SQLException: General error message from server: "Incorrect string value: '\xD8\xAA\xD9\x86\xD8\xB3...' for column 'QuestionText' at row 1" at A.R.I(KFQA:598) at com.objectplanet.survey.business.YI.I(KFQA:6452) at com.objectplanet.survey.business.DZ.I(KFQA:3632) at com.objectplanet.survey.view.admin.surveyutil.QuestionAction.checkModifySurveyByContentType(KFQA:1228) at com.objectplanet.survey.view.admin.surveyutil.QuestionAction.finish(KFQA:549) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at org.apache.struts.actions.DispatchAction.dispatchMethod(DispatchAction.java:274) at org.apache.struts.actions.DispatchAction.execute(DispatchAction.java:194) at com.objectplanet.survey.view.admin.B.execute(KFQA:127) at com.objectplanet.survey.view.admin.surveyutil.QuestionAction.execute(KFQA:117) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:419) at com.objectplanet.survey.view.admin.AdminRequestProcessor.processActionPerform(KFQA:149) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:224) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1194) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:432) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206) at com.objectplanet.survey.view.CharsetFilter.doFilter(KFQA:100) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191) at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:465) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109) at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298) at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:190) at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:291) at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:769) at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:698) at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:891) at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:690) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Simon

Posted: May 17, 2010 5:00 PM

Can someone please tell me how you get opinio to display a new language in the list when you want to add a new translation.
I am trying to create an arabic language translation of a survey.
At the moment I am not trying to get the system to display the arabic characters, merely to give me the option to select arabic as a translation.
I have duplicated the english language resource and renamed it: ApplicationResources_ar.properties. Why does this not give me an arabic version in the list of available languages (even if it is still in English)?

© 1998-2019 ObjectPlanet, Inc. Øvre Slottsgate 5, 0157 Oslo, Norway Tel (+47) 2233 3360 | Fax (+47) 2233 3361