Forum Home » Survey software » Opinio

Topic: combining data of several reports
Replies: 7   Pages: 1   Last Post: Mar 29, 2005 7:53 PM by: sfarooq

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Replies: 7   Pages: 1  
elamast

combining data of several reports
Posted: Feb 9, 2005 9:18 PM

I am currently using Opinio to do course evaluations. Each of these is a separate survey, but the questions stay the same all the time.

Is there an easy way to create a single report that includes the data from all the surveys? I tried just using a URL: http://www.domainname.com/opinio/rtp.do?r=*, but that didn't do it. Ideas??

torgeir

Re: combining data of several reports
Posted: Feb 9, 2005 9:32 PM

It can't be done in the current version.

In v5, it might be a way for you to import data from surveys (needs manual editing of XML files, but it is possible). Then you can combine all data for all surveys in a single survey. Then run your reports.

We are looking to find ways to do this, but it will take some time - it is a complicated matter, because reports are very dependent on survey structure (it it must be verified before running the reports. If the structure match, everything is OK, and reports can be produced).

cheikkila

Posted: Mar 8, 2005 2:31 PM

I also need this functionality, for exactly the same reason as the original poster - if we purchase this software, we will be doing course evaluations. Each course will have its own survey (identical questions), but then in addition to the individual reports, I also need to combine the results by department, by instructor, and by method of instruction. I'd suggest a list of surveys with checkboxes so we can select a group of surveys to combine.

It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to do, given that the structure of the surveys was exactly the same. And I'd let that be the responsibility of the person wanting to combine them - caveat surveyor - if you don't choose identical surveys, you get garbage results.

torgeir

Posted: Mar 10, 2005 10:37 AM

I know it seems quite easy to combine multiple surveys into one report, but it is not, unfortunately.

We are planning to make this possible, hopefully by August/September 2005 (several reporting enhancements are planned).

It is the handling of database calls and internal objects/routines that makes this a complex issue. It is hard to explain why, but the reporting engine has 100s of database calls (SQL statements). All of them would have to be changed, and new ones will have to be added.

We will think about this, and try to plan it carefully. Perhaps we can come up with an easier way to handle it that we currently know about.

But don't get me wrong - we *want* to add this, but it is not done overnight, so August/September will be the earliest possible time we can do this. See our roadmap (which may change over time):
http://www.objectplanet.com/Opinio/roadmap.html

wcoppola

Posted: Mar 11, 2005 12:39 AM

Dear Torgeir,

I don't see automatic sub-group reporting on the roadmap. I know you will be bored with me requesting this, but it is really important to me (and you did promise!)

Will

torgeir

Posted: Mar 11, 2005 8:45 AM

Will, there are many things not on the roadmap, but it doesn't mean they will not get implemented. It is the most important, most requested features that are on the map.

Auto sub-group reporting could go under "Reporting improvements", which is scheduled for August/September. Many reporting improvements are planned/considered for release around that time.

cheikkila

Posted: Mar 11, 2005 4:00 PM

My initial thought (and why I thought this might be fairly easy - this is what I do in perl for the home-grown survey combination script I use now for the substandard survey software we're still using) is that you'd do the following:

1-call the existing code to export the survey results from each survey into xml, then
2-parse the xml to pull out the response totals from each survey and add them to the previous survey's numbers.
3-Then call the code to import the results from this combined file as a new survey.

This shouldn't require any change to the export or import routines, nor to the existing report generation code. It also shouldn't require any additional database queries.

I apologize if I'm overstepping here, I'm not yet running your software (except the trial), and I'm not a java programmer, so I can't take a stab at writing the plugin myself.

sfarooq

Posted: Mar 29, 2005 7:53 PM

Hi all,
good to know I have some company in the world of TeacherEvaluations using Opinio.
One way you can acheive what you want is by creating one survey instead of mulitiple surveys for each instructor/course, and then pass on the same parameters to the url for all students belonging to each course.
for ex:
for students taking course COMP488
the invitation url could be
http://yourdomain:8080/opinio/s?s=2508&i=17407&k=[key]&u0=COMP488
then u can get the u0 field with the available plugins and group the reports according to that parameter (u0).
The one obvious advantage using this approach is you will be saving the time to create multiple surveys, although one catch is the current report system do not have any way
to filter the reports based on the url parameters or for that matter anything else other than the questions within the survey.
We can also save the parameter along with the respondee id and pull out the responses from Opinio database but this is not only tiresome process but also defeats the purpose of having the reports feature in Opinio.
I guess the developers of Opinio might be able to work around a way for us regarding this problem.
Hope to hear a solution soon.
Thanks
Shamayel

© 1998-2019 ObjectPlanet, Inc. Øvre Slottsgate 5, 0157 Oslo, Norway Tel (+47) 2233 3360 | Fax (+47) 2233 3361