Topic: Can I monitor a subnet?
Replies: 7   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 20, 2004 3:42 PM by: Bjorn J. Kvande »

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 7   Pages: 1  
Deepak
Can I monitor a subnet?
Posted: Sep 11, 2004 6:56 PM

Hello Everybody,
I am very, very impressed by this tool and our company plans to purchase one. There are couple of questions that have gone unanswered though and we would like to know if these features are present or can be introduced with some tweaks:
1. Can I monitor the activity of a whole subnet?
2. Does this tool have e-mail alerts?

Thank you,
Regards
Deepak

Eivind Pedersen

Re: Can I monitor a subnet?
Posted: Sep 13, 2004 2:18 PM

As long as the probe is running on a computer connected to a SPAN port on a switch, or a hub, you can monitor the whole subnet.

Alarms/Alerts is not implemented yet, but will most likely be available as a plugin early next year.

Deepak
Posted: Sep 13, 2004 10:26 PM

Hello Eivind,

Thank you for replying back.

Let me rephrase my first question. What I meant was would it be possible to monitor a subnet as a whole and not individual computers in a subnet? For example, I want to know the bandwidth consumtion, protocols used etc for the subnet 192.168.10.0/24 and not individual PC's in the subnet. I don't mind having the information for each PC in that subnet but what I am really look for is the information on the subnet 192.168.10.0/24. I want to look at the statistics of the subnet first and if I see a problem then I will go inside and see which client was causing whatever the problem was. I hope I am clear this time.

Are the program updates/upgrades free?

Thank you,
Deepak

Eivind Pedersen

Posted: Sep 14, 2004 1:34 PM

If the subnet is sharing a public internet address, using a broadband router for example, simply place the computer with Network Probe on a hub (or switch w/SPAN port) between your WAN connection and the router.
All traffic going from/to the router will be reported as the public IP address.

WAN
|
|
HUB -- Router (192.168.10.0/24 net)
|
|-- Network Probe

(Or instead of the HUB use a switch with a SPAN port).

There is no support in Network Probe for directly configuring a subnet as a single instance, but it might be added as a future later.

Upgrades are free, but once the plugin architecture is ready we might take a fee for some plugins.

Deepak
Posted: Sep 15, 2004 3:11 PM

Hello,
So in future you plan to add the feature of monitoring the entire subnet as an instance. You also plan to introduce some other features such as log merging (as mentioned in the other post) etc. Could you please give me a time frame as to when the future product is expected to release? I think I will wait and buy that one rather than buying the current one and paying more for those features/plugins.
Thank you,
Deepak

Eivind Pedersen

Posted: Sep 16, 2004 10:17 AM

The subnet feature has just recently been put up on our "todo list", so it has a low priority.

Our first priority now is fixing issues and problems in the 1.1.1 version. The 1.1.2 version should be finished around October 10th.

The next minor release (1.2) will have the first plugin functionality enabled, and possibly have extended log support (combine data with logs from days earlier). It will be finished sometime before Christmas.

The license is valid for one year, including upgrades.

Deepak Seshadri
Posted: Sep 17, 2004 6:02 PM

Would you guys be willing to customize the code for us? We need something immediately with subnet functionality & log merging.
Thank you,
Deepak

Bjorn J. Kvande
Posted: Sep 20, 2004 3:42 PM

Contact me per email at

bjorn dot kvande at objectplanet dot com in mid october.

Bjorn

© 1998-2019 ObjectPlanet, Inc. Øvre Slottsgate 5, 0157 Oslo, Norway Tel (+47) 2233 3360 | Fax (+47) 2233 3361