Customer login  |   Contact us
Home Company Products Support Purchase
Forum Home » Network Probe

Topic: Unable to view NetProbe data - pls help!
Replies: 1   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 10, 2003 6:32 PM by: Eivind Pedersen

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Replies: 1   Pages: 1  
Andy
Unable to view NetProbe data - pls help!
Posted: Sep 10, 2003 4:49 PM

This product sure appeared to be something that I couldn't get enough of at one time, but lately I can't get it to open at all. I launch the app and then hit IE to view the data and IE takes forever to open. Once I finally get a login prompt I put in the proper credentials and am unable to get any of the graphing or data to show (stays on a blank screen like it's trying to load the page).

I then tried to load Network Probe on another machine and had the same results with it. The last try was simply loading network probe on one machine while launching IE from another machine to get at the data (I had previously been using both from the same box). I still have the same results.

If I had to give a hunch on what the problem is I'd say that there is too much traffic for NetProbe to get together before launching the graphs and such. Seriously, when there was little traffic on the network and I didn't have a real "need" for the app it worked fine. When it appeared that a virus was loose on the network and there was far more traffic in/outbound from the internet I can't get the app to open.

Is this a bug of sorts? If the tool would open it would be fantastic (albeit very slow, but still useful). I'm not even sure that I'd call this a bug, but rather a show stopper. If you can't use the sniffer to sniff traffic that's causing problems then what's the purpose of the tool at all? Please help. TIA.

Andy
aharper@escient.com

Eivind Pedersen

Re: Unable to view NetProbe data - pls help!
Posted: Sep 10, 2003 6:32 PM

It sure sounds like there is heavy network activity.

First, try with Sun's Java Runtime Engine, it can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com. It looks like you're using Microsoft's VM, it is an old version known to have some threading problems. Let me hear back from you if this solves the problem.

Version 1.0 will include support for filtering out IP addresses and ports, reducing the memory consumption by the probe - and increasing the performance.

To check if there are memory issues, start it from console mode with 'java -jar Probe.jar' and wait for OutOfMemoryError.

© 1998-2019 ObjectPlanet, Inc. Øvre Slottsgate 5, 0157 Oslo, Norway Tel (+47) 2233 3360 | Fax (+47) 2233 3361