Forum Home » Survey software » Opinio

Topic: Return email link process
Replies: 11   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 23, 2009 5:57 PM by: Marie

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Replies: 11   Pages: 1  
frankrizzo2k

Return email link process
Posted: Aug 31, 2004 5:43 PM

When a user saves a survey and Opinio generates the return link to send in the email, how does it use the ticket parameter when the user clicks on the link to resume the survey? What are the steps Opinio follows in regards to the database during the save survey and resume survey processes?

Thanks.

torgeir

Re: Return email link process
Posted: Sep 1, 2004 5:36 PM

The ticket parameter is randomly generated and works like a password for responding to the survey. So the respondent id (the "r" parameter) must match the ticket.

If I remember correctly, the ticket is re-generated when the survey is saved (new ticket value is saved in the OPS_Respondent table). These values, ticket and respondent id, are put into the return-link and sent by email. Respondent will use this link to resume the survey. Without the correct key, the respondent will be unable to enter.

jcrites

Posted: Sep 2, 2004 4:49 PM

As a word of feedback on this feature (the allowing of save and return), we have experienced a lot of problems with this and our respondents not being able to get back into a survey that they've saved. As a result of the number of problems, I typically discourage people from using this feature whenever possible. I cannot ever recreate the problem (!!), so that is why I haven't reported an issue with the functionality to date. However, it's apparent that this process is not intuitive (for whatever reason) to the user. Don't know if they receive the return email, but still use the original to try and re-access their saved survey (would this cause a problem?) or if they're not entering their email address in properly (because we're not connected to our LDAP directory, people have to use their internet formatted address rather than our internal format - perhaps they are using the internal format)...but nevertheless, we've run into some issues and I just wanted to provide that feedback here (in case you might be considering changing how this functionality is handled in a future release! )

Thanks.

torgeir

Posted: Sep 5, 2004 11:11 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I would be very grateful if you could somehow find out more details about what is actually causing the problems.

We have been thinking of adding more intelligence into this feature, like storing some data in cookies, so that Opinio will list all incomplete surveys that the respondent has.

Another option could be to assist the user creating a bookmark in his/her browser for resuming the survey (perhaps doing it automatically).

Other suggestions welcome!

wcoppola

Posted: Sep 14, 2004 12:40 PM

I agree with the above comments - our users have found it complex, cumbersome, and difficult to use. As a result I don't usually activate the save and return feature.

Both your suggested options sound good to me. Would it be possible for incomplete data to be saved permanently, and then when some data is present, for a return user to automatically go back to it baseed on the user ticket?

Will

torgeir

Posted: Sep 14, 2004 12:47 PM

The question is how does the user find the way back? A bookmark in the browser? The original survey link?

If we are to use the original survey link, we HAVE to store some data in a cookie. Cookies are not guaranteed to be turned on or be accepted by the user's browser. But it would work in most cases.

We could also implement a "create bookmark" feature, that will assist the respondent to create a browser bookmark to come back to the survey later.

torgeir

Posted: Sep 14, 2004 12:48 PM

I am just curious - have anyone found out what exactly is complex and difficult to understand about the current implementation?

Marie

Posted: Apr 9, 2009 8:58 PM

We are implementing a survey in which people will enter large amounts of data (information about their scholarly activities) into multiple, open-ended text boxes. We believe that many of them will want to be able to do this over two or more sessions. If we enable the "save and return" feature, we are concerned that people will simply lose track of the e-mailed return links (or confuse them) and will lose their data because of this. This would be a major problem because of the time and effort it would take for people to re-enter data.

torgeir

Posted: Apr 10, 2009 3:14 AM

I believe the return link will be the same for all sessions, as long as it is the same respondent and the same survey.

You might want to check and verify that the links are in fact the same, but if they are, this should not be a problem.

Marie

Posted: Apr 10, 2009 5:13 PM

When I generate multiple "return tickets", I am only able to use the most recent one to re-enter the survey. However, the link from the original invitation does still work (i.e. it takes me back to where I left off in the survey). My concern is that, if the respondent loses track of the e-mails (the original invitation and the most recent return e-mail), I don't think that I have a way to give them access to their survey. I would need to send them another invitation, and this would mean that they would have to start over from the beginning. Is this right? Thanks for your help with this!

irina

Posted: Apr 14, 2009 8:52 PM

It can be a little bit confusing. Let me explain.

The original link from the invitation contains an invitee ID and this ID is used to identify the invitee(look for "i=" in the survey link).

When invitee starts the survey a unique respondent ID is created for him and this respondent ID follows the respondent through the survey.

If respondent saves the survey and gets an email, the email will contain the respondent ID and a unique ticket that protects the saved answers. Respondent id remains the same for the invitee and each invitee can only have one respondent ID (unless of cause the responses are deleted by the survey creator and the invitee can start over again).

As long as invitee ID or respondent ID is present in the survey link the respondent will get back to the survey that he has started when he clicks on the original invitation link or the most recent email.

The unique ticket that I mentioned above changes every time the respondent re-enter the survey for the security reasons. That's why respondent can only use the latest of the received emails or the original one. If respondent is unable to re-enter the survey you can send a reminder email form the invitees screen and he will get a new link that works.

Marie

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 5:57 PM

Thank you for your response. The only problem with this is that I'm not able to send reminders to people who have already started the survey. But I know that this is an issue you are working to address. Thanks again!

© 1998-2019 ObjectPlanet, Inc. Øvre Slottsgate 5, 0157 Oslo, Norway Tel (+47) 2233 3360 | Fax (+47) 2233 3361