Topic: Import Data
Replies: 9   Pages: 1  

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 9   Pages: 1  
Per
Import Data
Posted: May 6, 2004 10:34 AM

Hi,

The database seems fairly complex so I was wondering if you could get hold of the SQL statements generated when exporting a specific survey, and sort of reverse it to
import data from a excel sheet?

Any plans for a data import tool?
Thanks //Per

torgeir

Re: Import Data
Posted: May 6, 2004 10:51 AM

We are planning on an import/export tool for the response data. How exactly this would work, is not decided yet.

The SQL statements used when exporting a survey is complex - it is distributed among a lot of different java source files (the db layer in our internal design), and it would be a lot of work for me to extract all of them.

The way it is currently done, is that the data is extracted the same way as when viewing a single survey response. Then it is repeated for all respondents in the survey.

Import data *from* an excel sheet sounds very difficult indeed. The SQL would be very difficult.

I think it would be a much better strategy to use the plugin api, and create respondents that way. Then you would not have to worry about the SQL, and you would be sure to get all the data saved correctly. It is usually not a good idea to insert data from another source. It should be done by Opinio, because there are internal index-counters that ensures that all unique keys are correctly generated.

Per
Posted: May 11, 2004 3:40 PM

Ok,

Hence my top 2 wish-list looks like:
- Extended crosstabs
- Import tool

Thanks //Per

torgeir

Posted: May 11, 2004 4:09 PM

Noted.

Cross-tabs as discussed in the thread below?

http://support.objectplanet.com/forum/thread.jspa?forumID=8&threadID=1111&messageID=3598#3598

Per
Posted: May 11, 2004 4:42 PM

Yes! That's the one.

torgeir

Posted: May 11, 2004 4:52 PM

Data import/export is high up on the list after 5.0 is released. We will seriously consider the extended cross-tab report as well, since we are looking to improve reporting for every version.

Simon

Posted: Jun 7, 2011 5:14 PM

Thought I would bump this thread and ask if the data import feature is any closer to reality as it was "a priority" in 2004.

As an aside, I have managed to utilise the pre-population feature to import a full survey response. The only downside being the need to log in to each record individually to get opinio to populate the survey responses.

Simon

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 2:45 PM

Just thought I would bump this thread again and ask if the data import facility is any closer to existence.
As online access is not available to all users the lack of a simple method to upload paper responses is a serious gap in the functionality of opinio.

saroche123

Posted: Jul 1, 2014 5:35 PM

Is the data import functionality in existence yet? We have hundreds of responses coming in via paper and would like to find a faster way of inputting them to the system than one by one. Can we upload an Excel file?

Simon

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 1:49 PM

Having just looked at the current roadmap, the ability to import data does not appear as an upcoming feature. Despite reassurances over the past 10 years that an import option was a priority, we are no nearer to adding this facility.

If this functionality cannot be incorporated into Opinio are there any alternative workarounds e.g. via a plug-in or a script? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it is possible to import a single record utilising the pre-population feature - coding each question response. The downside (apart from the time it takes) is that you have to log-in so can only do it one at a time.
Ideally a plug-in or script would do the following for a specified survey:
1. Generate log-in codes (for specified number of responses)
2. Create a pre-population template (based on survey questions)
3. Combine a selected import data file with pre-population format
4. Using the log-in codes, automatically import the data file (as separate responses)

© 1998-2017 ObjectPlanet, Inc. Øvre Slottsgate 5, 0157 Oslo, Norway Tel (+47) 2233 3360 | Fax (+47) 2233 3361